The trial for the kidnapping of two 11 year old boys from their school last September resumed today in Larnaca Criminal Court behind closed doors.
President of the Criminal Court said that the body was considering the possibility for the rest of the process to take place behind closed doors in order to protect the children and their parents.
Prosecuting counsel Elli Papagapiou said that she was concerned about the possibility of the trial to resume behind closed doors, as there was no sexual abuse charges involved in the case. However, she did not object to the decision, as long as the parents will be allowed to sit in the court.
The defence counsel also did not object to the decision.
Thus, the President of the Criminal Court ordered for the rest of the trial to take place behind closed doors and asked journalists to leave the room.
A 35 year old man has already pleaded guilty to kidnapping the two 11 year old boys on September 25 from a Kamares primary school before the start of class. He also pleaded guilty to sedating them.
The two boys were found in the defendant’s apartment, close to the school, a few hours later.
They were unharmed but confused. It later emerged that they had been given sedatives.