The state is facing difficulties in collecting 63% of taxes already in arrears, mainly due to the fact that it cannot identify tax-payers, Phileleftheros reported today.
This amounts to €1.54 billion, according to a Tax Department report for the first quarter of fiscal year 2018.
How does the amount break down:
- €32 million from 9,965 taxpayers will not be collected as they either moved abroad or are deceased.
- €635.4 million in direct taxation will not be collected as taxpayers have proceeded in making appeals and/or objections.
- €478.3 million in direct taxation owed by 20,000 taxpayers will not be collected as they went bankrupt.
- Tax Department faces difficulties in collecting €253.1 million from 3,385 taxpayers as they have no funds, no assets to liquefy, no access to loans and no other sources of income.
- €112,.2 million from 15,519 taxpayers will not be collected as they have been removed from the tax register.