Menu
Local

Speeding driver caught after posting video of speedometer on social media

February 3, 2020 at 10:00am
Edited by

A 23 year old man who posted a video as he was doing 180 km per hour  on the Larnaca-Paralimni highway on social media is due in court today to be charged with reckless driving, speeding and not having his hands free when driving.

The youth, a Larnaca resident, was tracked down by police, after he posted a video on Saturday afternoon of his car’s speedometer as he drove at 180 km per hour on the motorway where the speed limit is 100 km per hour.

Police said the incident took place at 4 pm on Saturday. They said the young man was speeding and video-taping at the same time, and posted the video on line.

He was summoned to the police station where he admitted the offence. He was charged in writing with reckless and dangerous driving, speeding and not having his hands free.

The young man appeared before Larnaca court today. He told the court he had not had time to appoint a defence lawyer and was released on 2000 euro bail until February 10 when he is due back in court to answer the charges.

Transport Minister Yiannis Karousos announced in Friday that drivers caught driving under the influence of drugs or with excessive alcohol will have their licence revoked as part of measures to curb the bloodshed on the road. The same penalty will apply for excessive speeding he said.

He said police would inform the road transport authority which has the authority to suspend or revoke driving licences.

Last year a 43 year old driver caused  storm when he posted a video on social media driving a truck with his feet pleaded. He has pleaded guilty on to reckless and dangerous driving and is due to be sentenced on February 6.

 

Reckless drivers in Cyprus to be immediately deprived of their license