By Galateia Pamporidi
- 500 gr orzo
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, melted
- 1 red sweet peppers, finely chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 700-800 gr grated tomatoes packed
- 25 shrimps large, cleaned
- 100 gr black olives (measured with the pit), cleaned and cut in half
- A little cayenne pepper
- A little dry oregano
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh basil
- 200 gr feta cut into cubes
- 200 gr mozzarella, grated
- Chili flakes (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven at 175 C.
In a large saucepan, add plenty of salted water to boil. Once cooked, pour the orzo in and let it cook until it is al dente (around 10 minutes). Drain the orzo but keep ½ cup of the water.
In another pot, add the olive oil to moderate heat to boil. Pour the onion in and saute to soften a little. Add the garlic and stir.
Saute stirring until the onion is softened and cooked (about 5 minutes).
Add the red pepper. Saute another 2-3 minutes, strengthen the fire and add the wine. Allow the mixture to boil for about 1 minute, until some of the alcohol evaporates from the wine. Add the tomatoes and lower the heat.
Add salt, pepper, oregano, basil, cayenne and let the tomatoes simmer for about 5 minutes until some water evaporates and the sauce becomes thicker. Add the shrimp and let it cook for 1 minute in the sauce. Turn off the fire.
Add the feta, olives and orzo together with ½ cup of water that you boiled. Stir well and place the mixture in a Pyrex fireproof pan.
Sprinkle with the grated mozzarella and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until the mozzarella melts. Allow the food to stand for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chili flakes and serve with a salad.