Menu
Local

Cyprus pressing ahead with energy plans

October 5, 2018 at 7:56am
Edited by

The Republic of Cyprus  is continuing with its energy plans, on the basis of international law and in cooperation with the companies that are licensed in it EEZ, government spokesman Prodromos Prodromou told CNA.

He added that “no comment was necessary” in relation to an announcement issued earlier on Thursday by the Turkish Foreign Ministry.

Prodromou pointed moreover to the decision taken by the Cabinet, on Wednesday, to invite companies that already have exploration licenses for other blocks in Cyprus’ EEZ to bid for block 7.

In the announcement, the Turkish Foreign Ministry says that it will not allow any country or company to conduct research activities for hydrocarbons in areas under its jurisdiction. Furthermore, Ankara expresses “concern” over Nicosia’s “unilateral” action to call international companies to express their interest for EEZ block 7.

On Friday President Nicos Anastasiades is expected to meet with Exxon’s Senior Vice President Neil Chapman, at the Presidential Palace.

Asked about the meeting, Prodromou said that it is part of the regular contacts with the company ahead of its planned activities in the region next November, as well as due to the company’s interest for block 7.

(Cyprus News Agency)

Read more

Cabinet moves forward on plot 7 in Cyprus’ EEZ