Menu
Local

Health Ministry: one more flu death, total now at 17

March 8, 2019 at 12:32pm
Edited by

The Health Ministry said on Friday that another patient has died from complications as a result of influenza A in the past 24 hours, bringing the total to 17 since December 1.

The patient had been in hospital for several days and belonged to the high risk group because of underlying health issues.

The ministry said that in the past week there has been a significant drop in the number of cases, although the virus remained active and was expected to remain active until at least the end of March.

Since December 1 to today, a total of 59 serious cases have been recorded. Most patients have been discharged but some remain in hospital.

There are currently four serious cases in intensive care units. In the past 48 hours there have been no new admissions, the ministry said.

The ministry said that the flu vaccine remains the best precaution particularly for vulnerable groups and said there was ample stock of vaccines.

The general public is urged to take basic precautions, including keeping their living areas well ventilated, washing their hands frequently and avoiding crowded indoor spaces.

Read more

Three more flu deaths, total now at 16