Menu
Local

Father of 5 month old baby in alleged abuse case released

February 25, 2019 at 2:25pm

The father of a five month old baby at the centre of an alleged abuse case, was released from police custody on Monday.

According to philenews, Nicosia police in consultation with the Law Office of the Republic decided not to ask for the renewal of the remand.

The baby and its family will be placed under Welfare Services monitoring for some time, philenews writes.

The man was arrested on Wednesday and remanded in custody for five days, after doctors at Makarios Hospital found that the baby had a broken hymen but could not agree on what caused it.

Director of Makarios Hospital Andreas Neophytou, told Phileleftheros that he was one of the two doctors who examined the baby. A paediatrician suspected abuse and asked for the case to be examined.

State pathologist Eleni Antoniou was called in who found a broken hymen and a small abrasion in the genital area.

The assistant director of paediatric surgery of the hospital, Efthymios Tsivitanides, said it appeared that the baby had been raped.

However, on Thursday Neophytou told Phileleftheros “I cannot say there was abuse. There does not appear to be rape.”

The mother has told police that the baby may have been hurt when the father was changing her nappy.

Neophytou did not rule out the broken hymen may have been caused by ‘intense cleaning’ or some other way, Phileleftheros said. He added that some babies were born with broken hymens.

Read more:

KISA calls for investigation of “disciplinary, criminal offences by medical staff” in baby case