Menu
Local

Double murder: Court to rule on charge sheet on Friday

November 21, 2018 at 9:56am
Edited by

There has been a new adjournment in the trial for the murder of the couple killed in their Stovolos home last April as the Nicosia Criminal Court considers a request by the lawyers of one of the defendants regarding the charge sheet.

After hearing arguments from the prosecution during a brief hearing on Wednesday, the court said it would issue its decision on Friday.

The lawyer of Sara Siance had argued on Monday that the charge sheet against his client is defective and asked for a postponement of the trial.

The prosecution countered that the lawyer had confused the offences.

The four defendants remain in custody until the trial.

Loizos Tzionis, Lefteris Solomou, Sara Siance and Marios Hadjixenophontos face charges that include premeditated murder, conspiracy to commit a crime, robbery and illegal possession of weapons.

Tzionis, 33, initially pleaded guilty to the murder charge but changed his plea on November 5, and now denies any involvement in the case.

The other three defendants, have also pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

The victims, George Hadjigeorgiou and Dina Sergiou were found stabbed to death at their home in what police said was a botched robbery. Their teenage son who had been locked in a cupboard managed to free himself and seek help from the neighbours.

Read more

Update: Strovolos murder trial postponed