Set in beautiful natural surroundings, the Monastery of Chrysorrogiatissa is dedicated to ‘Our Lady of the Golden Pomegranate’ and was established in 1152 by monk Ignatios.
Legend tells that the monk found a miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary off the shore of Pafos (Paphos). The icon had been thrown into the sea in Asia Minor during the iconoclastic period and drifted to Pafos on the waves.
The present structure – a single-aisle church built on the foundations of an older one – dates to 1770. Fine frescoes are found above the three entrances, whilst a gold and silver-plated icon of Christ and the Virgin Mary in the monastery is believed to have been painted by Apostle Luke the Evangelist. The Icons and Utensil Treasury of the monastery is also home to a collection of important icons, religious objects and other artefacts.
The occasion of the Dormition of the Mother of God is celebrated at the monastery every August 15 with a grand religious ceremony, whilst the monastery’s old winery produces some of the best vintage wines on the island.
Address: 37km northeast of Pafos
GPS coordinates: Lat: 34.910043 Lon: 32.618889
Contact No: Tel: +357 26 722 457
Operating Hours: May – August: Daily: 09:30 – 12:30 / 13:30 – 18:30
September – April: Daily: 10:00 – 12:30 / 13:30 – 16:00
Icons and Utensil Treasury open only upon request.
Operating Period: All year round.
Icons and Utensil Treasury: Closed on Public Holidays.
Entrance Fee: Free (donations accepted).
Opening and closing times as well as entrance fees, are subject to alterations without notice. Visitors are advised to check before visiting.
Courtesy of the CTO