Moreover, President Anastasiades informed in detail the British Premier about Turkey’s threats with regard to Famagusta, the continuous violations in Cyprus’ exclusive economic zone as well as the hindrance caused by the Turkish side in efforts to resume settlement talks in Cyprus, the announcement from the Presidency of the Republic says. Prime Minister Johnson reiterated UK support to the sovereign rights of the Republic of Cyprus and to the efforts to reach a comprehensive settlement of Cyprus through negotiations, on the basis of UN resolutions, Prodromou concludes. Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkish troops invaded and occupied 37% of its territory. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in the summer of 2017, at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively. Varosha is the fenced off section of the Turkish occupied town of Famagusta, often described as ‘ghost town’. UN Security Council resolution 550 (1984) considers any attempts to settle any part of Varosha by people other than its inhabitants as inadmissible and calls for the transfer of this area to the administration of the UN. Efforts over the years for the legitimate citizens of Famagusta to return to the city have met with the refusal of the Turkish side, despite numerous decisions and resolutions by the UN, EU and other international institutions. (Cyprus News Agency) File photo Read more https://in-cyprus.com/brexit-minister-says-britain-appreciates-president-anastasiades-position-on-leaving-with-deal/", "url" : "https://in-cyprus.com/cyprus-president-and-british-pm-discuss-brexit-and-cyprus-related-developments/", "publisher" : { "@type" : "Organization", "logo": { "@type": "ImageObject", "url": "https://in-cyprus.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/new_logo.png", "width": 314, "height": 80 }, "name" : "in-cyrpus.com" } }
Menu
Local

Cyprus President and British PM discuss Brexit and Cyprus-related developments

September 19, 2019 at 9:53am
Edited by

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has briefed President Nicos Anastasiades on the latest developments regarding his county’s withdrawal from the European Union.

The two leaders spoke by phone on Wednesday evening.

According to a written announcement by Government Spokesman Prodromos Prodromou, the President of Cyprus reiterated the support of the Cyprus government to the decision for an orderly withdrawal, while the two men also discussed bilateral issues.

 

Moreover, President Anastasiades informed in detail the British Premier about Turkey’s threats with regard to Famagusta, the continuous violations in Cyprus’ exclusive economic zone as well as the hindrance caused by the Turkish side in efforts to resume settlement talks in Cyprus, the announcement from the Presidency of the Republic says.

Prime Minister Johnson reiterated UK support to the sovereign rights of the Republic of Cyprus and to the efforts to reach a comprehensive settlement of Cyprus through negotiations, on the basis of UN resolutions, Prodromou concludes.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkish troops invaded and occupied 37% of its territory. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results. The latest round of negotiations, in the summer of 2017, at the Swiss resort of Crans-Montana ended inconclusively.

Varosha is the fenced off section of the Turkish occupied town of Famagusta, often described as ‘ghost town’. UN Security Council resolution 550 (1984) considers any attempts to settle any part of Varosha by people other than its inhabitants as inadmissible and calls for the transfer of this area to the administration of the UN.

Efforts over the years for the legitimate citizens of Famagusta to return to the city have met with the refusal of the Turkish side, despite numerous decisions and resolutions by the UN, EU and other international institutions.

(Cyprus News Agency)

File photo

Read more

Brexit Minister says Britain appreciates President Anastasiades’ position on leaving with deal