Home / News / World News / UK no longer advises against travel to most of Tunisia

UK no longer advises against travel to most of Tunisia

Britain is no longer advising against travel to most of Tunisia, including Tunis and major tourist destinations, the Foreign Office said on Wednesday.

In June 2015 a gunman killed 30 Britons in the Tunisian resort of Sousse and the following month the government changed its travel guidance to advise against all but essential travel to Tunisia.

“This update reflects our latest assessment that the risk to British nationals in Tunisia has changed,” Alistair Burt, Minister for the Middle East and North Africa, said.

“This is in part due to the security improvements that the Tunisian authorities and tourist industry have made since the tragic terrorist attacks in 2015, with support from the UK and international partners.”

The government cautioned there remained risks for British nationals, and said it continued to advise against travel to some areas including those near the Libyan border. (Reuters)

Related stories 

Check Also

Greek police find dead crew from plane crash

Police in Greece have confirmed that two people – who had been on board a …

Macron: Greater clarity needed to break Brexit deadlock

French President Emmanuel Macron has warned Theresa May greater clarity is needed over Britain’s negotiating …