Cyprus is continuing with exploration activities despite Turkish provocations, Spokesman says Cyprus will continue its activities in its Exclusive Economic Zone (ΕΕΖ) despite Turkish provocations, Government Spokesman Nikos Christodoulides has said.
His comments, to the Cyprus News Agency CNA) on Saturday came as Greek Cypriot daily “O Phileftheros” reported that Turkey issued on Friday two new navigational warning (NAVTEX) binding an area 30 nautical miles south east of Paphos within the Republic of Cyprus’ offshore blocks six and seven.
- US tells Nicosia it did not request NAVTEX
- Turkish NAVTEX and NOTAM for Cyprus EEZ and Nicosia FIR
- Turkish Cyprus NAVTEX ‘invalid’, says Nicosia
“Turkey continues its usual provocative tactics, violating the Republic of Cyprus’ area of responsibility by carrying out aeronautical manoeuvres west of Pafos and our exclusive economic zone (EEZ) contrary to all principles of the law of the Sea and maritime safety,” Christodoulides said.
He added that the Republic of Cyprus has made all relevant steps to the competent international organisations against Turkey’s actions, while continuing its activities in its EEZ according to the international law.
“In line with our policy so far, we will not engage in a public dialogue on one issue on which Turkey aims to dispute our sovereign rights, he concluded.