A meeting between Teachers union OELMEK and the Education Ministry on Wednesday aimed at settling differences in the appointment of teachers ended without result despite a new proposal tabled by the Education Minister Costas Kadis.
The difference between two sides arose following the Ministry’s new appointment procedures which saw 39 long-serving secondary school teachers out of work.
Teachers have warned that some schools will not open after the summer holidays in September if their demands are not met.
OELMEK is set to meet on Thursday to discuss the Education Minister’s proposals to put to bed a difference between the two parties regarding the appointment of secondary school teachers.
“After a long and exhausting effort to find a solution and after coming close, the Minister did not accept our proposal,” said OELMEK head Yiannos Socratous.
- A war on waste in education
- Auditor General says no to new teachers request
- Parents scrambling as teachers go on strike
Talks collapsed after the ministry said it would take on nine of the 39 teachers that had been left without work.
“After much effort, the number reached to 30, something which we were naturally not satisfied with and we departed (from the meeting),” said Socratous.
OELMEK were set to meet on Thursday morning to review the ministry’s new proposal which covers a large number of long-serving teachers and who today are at risk of finding themselves without a job.
Socratous believes that the loss of these teachers will affect the quality of teaching stressing that the appointment of the teachers is not an end in itself but an improvement in teaching results.
“If the Central Committee does not accept the proposal it is possible that it will take other decisions or measures,” said Socratous adding that the time constraints to solve the problem are running out.