Home / News / World News / Presumed death toll in London tower blaze rises to 79

Presumed death toll in London tower blaze rises to 79

London police said 79 people were dead or missing presumed dead after a devastating tower block blaze last week.

London Police Commander Stuart Cundy said the toll from the Grenfell Tower blaze could still change but probably not as much as it had in recent days.

He also said that five people who were reported missing had now been found safe and well.

The huge fire destroyed 24-storey Grenfell Tower in north Kensington, where flames could still be seen burning more than a day on from the June 13 disaster.

Prime Minister Theresa May has promised a “proper investigation” after the building went up in flames early last Wednesday morning amid growing concerns about how the fire could have spread so rapidly.

Witnesses described hearing screams for help from people trapped on the upper floors of the block as flames engulfed the building, which contains 120 flats thought to be home to between 400 and 600 people.

Children and a baby were seen being thrown out of the windows to be caught by emergency workers and members of the public below.(Reuters)

Check Also

Greek police find dead crew from plane crash

Police in Greece have confirmed that two people – who had been on board a …

Macron: Greater clarity needed to break Brexit deadlock

French President Emmanuel Macron has warned Theresa May greater clarity is needed over Britain’s negotiating …