President Nicos Anastasiades has made clear that the return of displaced Maronites to their villages in breakaway north Cyprus does not create new ‘fait accomplis’ as regards the island’s division.
And therefore the government does not object to any Maronite’s decision to go and live there, he also said late on Thursday.
His statement came after reports in the north said that a meeting on Thursday morning at Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci’as office aimed at continuing the planning for the return of Maronites to their villages.
Legal, financial, technical and social aspects of the return process were reportedly discussed at the meeting with another one scheduled for August 16.
UN-brokered Cyprus talks aiming to reunite the divided island reached a deadlock in Crans-Montana, Switzerland, early in July.
Days afterwards, the Turkish Cypriot side announced that a decision had been made to allow Maronites to return to all their villages.
Ayia Marina, Asomatos, and Karpasha are the three Maronite villages controlled by the Turkish military since Ankara’s invasion in 1974.