A 57-year-old is being treated in the Nicosia General Hospital Intensive Care Unit for severe respiratory problems after attempting to extinguish a fire that had broken out at a church in Pera Chorio. Doctors have described his condition as critical.
According to police, the fire broke out at around 4 pm on Thursday was spotted by the 57-year-old who attempted to extinguish it and suffered serious breathing problems in the process. Investigations, after the fire was extinguished, have led the Fire Services to believe that the fire was started from lit candles in the church that had fallen on combustible material.
Damage was caused to the inner walls and furnishings of the church.
Police are still investigating.