Home / News / Local News / Larnaca demonstrates against oil installation delays

Larnaca demonstrates against oil installation delays

Larnaca residents took to the streets on Saturday to protest against the delays surrounding the dismantling of the gas and oil installations in accordance with the Seveso Directive.

The demonstration attended by Greens President Giorgos Perdikis, Larnaca mayor Andreas Vyras, council members, MPs and members of the public made its way from the Larnaca port roundabout and ended at the Yacht Club on the Larnaca-Dhekelia road.

Addressing the demonstration, Vyras said that the municipal council and other stakeholders fully supported the demonstration.

“A positive step was taken when work started on dismantling the installations but a lot of work still remains to be done,” said Vyras adding that Larnaca would not accept any more delays.

A meeting is scheduled with Interior minister Socrates Hasikos on Wednesday to discuss timelines and a roadmap for the total dismantling of the installations.

Other ministers, state services, stakeholders and petrol companies are also set to attend the meeting.

“Apart from a roadmap we will ask for compensatory measures because the only one who pays today is the citizens of Larnaca,” said Vyras.

“We can’t, in 2017, have homes in Seveso Zones with all the associated implications. At the same time Larnaca is paying the price for a lack of development as the installations are situated on the most productive part of the city,” said Vyras.

The catastrophic accident in the Italian town of Seveso in1976 prompted the adoption of legislation on the prevention and control of industrial accidents involving dangerous chemicals.

The Directive now applies to more than 10 000 industrial establishments in the European Union where dangerous substances are used or stored in large quantities, mainly in the chemical, petrochemical, logistics and metal refining sectors

Check Also

Court backs Migration Dept in sham marriage case

The Administrative Court rejected an appeal filed by a British man living in the UK …

Cyprus granted asylum to 1,155 Syrians in 2016

Cyprus granted asylum to just under 1,500 people last year, most of which originated from Syria, according to the European Union’s statistics office Eurostat.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *