Home / News / Local News / Investigation fiasco leaves officials red-faced

Investigation fiasco leaves officials red-faced

State officials have been left red-faced after it was revealed a high profile investigation into misappropriation of funds they thought was continuing, had in fact been put to bed eight months ago.

Following an article in Phileleftheros on Thursday hinting to a cover-up in the case, the police issued an announcement stating that the investigation had been closed eight months ago following the directions of a Legal Services official.

Police Chief Zacharias Chrysostomou explained that the investigation had been completed in October 2016 and had failed to find evidence of criminal misconduct and the relevant case files had been passed on to the Legal Services.

Related stories

The Legal Services subsequently instructed the police to file the investigation as unsubstantiated.

Allegations regarding the misappropriation of funds within the Cyprus Paraplegic Athletics Federation were brought to the attention of the Legal Services by the Cyprus Sports Organisation’s (CSO) Watchdog Committee in 2014.

A Legal Services official, acting on behalf of the Attorney General, seems to have informed Greens MP Giorgos Perdikis on two occasions that the investigation was on-going after the case had already been closed.

The same official addressed a letter to Chrysostomou on August 1, 2017, demanding explanations as to the delay in the investigation.

Education Minister Costas Kadis, politically responsible for the CSO was also under the impression that the investigation was in progress while CSO boss Kleanthis Georgiades said that the organisation had not received an update from the police with regards to the investigation.

Check Also

Tourist dies in the sea off Paphos

Police in Paphos say a man has died after going swimming in what has been …

Paphos police arrest drunken passenger at airport

A passenger waiting to depart Paphos Airport ended up in a police cell on Friday …