The chapel of Agios Georgios Arperas is situated about 2km from Larnaka (Larnaca) in the village of Tersefanou, where the Medieval village of Arpera once stood.
The chapel was built by the Dragoman Christofakis Konstantinou in 1745 and has a fresco depicting himself and his family as founders, as well as many icons signed by the painter Ioannikios. The family painting is believed to show the Dragoman offering the church to Saint George as thanks for the successful completion of the difficult project of Larnaka’s aqueduct ‘Kamares’, of which he was in charge of.
The office of Dragoman was introduced in Cyprus at the start of the Ottoman Rule and was abolishedduring the Greek Revolution against the Ottoman Empire in 1821. Dragomans acted as liaisons between the Pasha (high ranking military official) and the local people. They were the most important political figures after the Pasha.
Address: Tersefanou village
Operating Hours: Church hours.
Operating Period: All year round.
Closed on Public Holidays.
Entrance Fee: Free
Opening and closing times as well as entrance fees, are subject to alterations without notice. Visitors are advised to check before visiting.
Courtesy of the CTO