The Tombs of Makronissos are situated west of Agia Napa and consist of 19 rock-cut tombs, a small sanctuary and an ancient quarry.
The sanctuary is a simple rectangular enclosure, made of large irregular blocks. The tombs were used during the Hellenistic and Roman periods, and although they were subject to severe looting over the years (from 1872), archaeologists believe that the deceased were placed in clay sarcophagus that were originally covered with three flat tiles.
The tomb’s rectangular entrance originally closed with one or two slabs, and Pyres were found on the surface, characteristic of Greek burial customs. Most of the chambers are almost identical with a rectangular trench in the middle and three benches at the side.
Region: Ammochostos (Famagusta)
Address: Makronissos, west of Agia Napa
Contact No: Tel: +357 23 816 300, Fax: +357 23 722 607
Operating Hours: Daily: 09:00 – 17:00
Operating Period: All year round.
Closed on Public Holidays.
Entrance Fee: Free
Opening and closing times as well as entrance fees, are subject to alterations without notice. Visitors are advised to check before visiting.
Courtesy of the CTO