Cyprus Interior Minister Constantinos Petrides on Monday said the path towards correcting the wrong policy by the state on who gets to use Turkish Cypriot property left behind after the 1974 invasion is on track.
He was talking to journalists after a meeting with Paphos Mayor Fedonas Fedonos who has accused former Interior Ministers and current officials of using their influence on who was awarded temporary use of Turkish Cypriot properties in the south.
“There is reaction, opposition, but the effort is there and we will insist on the drafting of a correct policy as regards the Turkish Cypriot properties,” the Minister said.
- Fedonos reports 30 cases of mismanagement of TC properties
- Fedonos going to the police with info on TC property scandal
- TC property concern comes after years of exploitation
“I will give a press conference on Friday to announce the procedure behind the investigation into the misuse of Turkish Cypriot properties as well as the new policy which is underway,” he added.
The outspoken Mayor said he was satisfied with what he heard from the Minister who “has the will to probe the issue thoroughly”.
Earlier on Monday, Fedonos told Active Radio that the heads of agricultural organisations were also making thousands of euros from cultivating Turkish Cypriot they not entitled to using.