Traffic police fined a total of 2,840 drivers for speeding during last week’s major clampdown by on the island’s roads.
“It’s time that drivers in Cyprus instil a sense of road safety,” said Traffic Police Chief Phillipos Papaelias told state radio on Monday morning adding that a new week-long clampdown on seatbelts and child car-seats will also get underway.
Of particular concern were the high speeds that were clocked in built-up areas.
“Motorists were clocked at 90, 100 and 110km/h in a 50km/h zone,” he revealed.
“They must realise that at those speeds it is impossible to stop in time during an emergency. A child, cyclist, an animal or even another car can suddenly cut in front of a speeding driver and there is just not enough time to react effectively.”
He added: “Speed limits to a particular road are not there by chance but depend on a lot of factors regarding the physical condition of the road and subsequently to the overall safety of road users.”
Forty drivers were charged and a further 41 were cautioned for the incorrect use of the three-lane motorway at the entrance to Nicosia and involved primarily the incorrect use of the middle lane.
Papaelias stressed that drivers were obliged to know and understand the relevant driving codes.
“The middle lane should only be used for overtaking and as soon as a driver overtakes he must re-enter the left lane as soon as he can. The right hand lane is only used for overtaking but even then, drivers should when possible move back into the middle and eventually into the left lanes,” explained Papaelias stressing the importance of the continuous use of indicators.
Speaking about the new clampdown this week on seatbelts and child car seats, he said that traffic police officers will be out in numbers to ensure drivers and passengers are securely fastened with seatbelts including back-seat passengers as well as children in approved car-seats.
Children’s car-seats will also be inspected to ensure that they are securely fastened.