Home / News / Local News / Budget created for Missing investigators

Budget created for Missing investigators

The state has decided to spend up to €200,000 to hire expert investigators to help step up efforts to collect information on the Cyprus Missing.

President Nicos Anastasiades made the revelation on Thursday night, in the course of a ceremony for the relatives of the Missing at the Presidential Palace.

He said the decision was made by the Cabinet on Wednesday.

Anastasiades said the expert investigators would comb through country and UN records to amass as much information as possible.

Earlier on Thursday, the Committee on Missing Persons in Cyprus (CMP) said it urgently needed to broaden efforts to obtain information that may lead to the discovery of burial sites.

This includes the review of archival material of international organisations, state actors and domestic authorities that were present during the events of 1963-64 and 1974, it added.

“Following extensive discussion on this sensitive matter, the CMP Members have now decided to request access to information from all relevant parties.

“Furthermore, they have agreed to set up a dedicated capacity within the CMP to conduct archival research.”

This will include a team of researchers who will undertake the long task of carrying out an impartial review of archives, in Cyprus and abroad, related to the events of 1963/4 and 1974.

The CMP said it hopes that this effort will yield new information to aid in the location of burial sites of missing persons and bring answers to bereaved families across the island.

 

Check Also

Tourist dies in the sea off Paphos

Police in Paphos say a man has died after going swimming in what has been …

Paphos police arrest drunken passenger at airport

A passenger waiting to depart Paphos Airport ended up in a police cell on Friday …