Irakleidios, the son of a pagan priest, was ordained Bishop of Tamassos by Saints Paul and Barnabas. He was martyred at the age of 60 and buried in the cave where he had lived and from where he preached the Gospel. In 400 AD a church was built over his grave. The monastery was destroyed and rebuilt several times. Today’s buildings date back to 1773 when Archbishop Chrysanthos restored the church and convent cells. The saint’s relics are kept inside the church. Today the monastery functions as a convent.
Courtesy of the CTO