President Nicos Anastasiades has presented the awards for the international architectural competition for the design of the new Cyprus Museum, which will showcase the island’s archeological treasures.
The first prize was awarded to the proposal submitted by Greek architect Theoni Xanthi, the second prize to the proposal submitted by Spanish architect Pedro Pitarch Alonso, and the third to the proposal submitted by Paul Kaloustian from Lebanon.
Speaking at the Monday evening ceremony, Anastasiades noted that once the Services currently operating at the premises where the Museum will be built are relocated, procedures will get underway for the invitation to tender for the construction of the Museum. Construction is expected to cost approximately €50 million.
Anastasiades said the completion of the first phase of the processes for the implementation of the project must satisfy all the stakeholders, and especially those who have since as early as 1973 detected the need for a new museum. He also said that this was something which, despite the financial difficulties the country faced, had been a priority for the government, tangible proof of its interest in culture.
He noted the aim has been to build the new museum based on a contemporary and innovative proposal and that many remarkable proposals were submitted, something which proved the significance of the project.
Anastasiades said that the fact that the museum will be located within Nicosia’s green and urban zones will decisively contribute to promoting both the country and its capital as cultural reference points.