President Nicos Anastasiades on Thursday issued a statement dismissing as unfounded charges by the opposition that he had leaked to close friends and associates confidential documents relating to the Conference on Cyprus in Crans-Montana, Switzerland.
Political parties have accused Anastasiades of sending the documents to a select few to convince them of his handling of the Cyprus problem.
- Anastasiades stresses need for Cyprus to become a ‘normal state’
- Most TCs blame Anastasiades for talks collapse
- Anastasiades: Peace talk minutes will not be made public
- Cyprus problem action moves to New York
“I have kept my patience for days now, not wanting to create any confrontations,” said Anastasiades at a function for the Disaster Response Special Unit (EMAK) at Kofinou on Wednesday evening.
Although the President did not disclose all the recipients of the documents, he did say that a copy had been also sent to AKEL Secretary General Andros Kyprianou.
“I considered the documents confidential as it gave the impression that apart from Turkey, Cyprus also was responsible (for the collapse of the talks),” said Anastasiades.
“Is the Joint Communiqué of June 4 confidential? Are the positions of the Greek Cypriot confidential? Are briefs of minutes confidential? Only these were in the folder,“ said the President.
Anastasiades had dismissed accusations that he only sent the documents to his supporters.