Agros Village

Agros is in the heart of the Pitsilia region situated in a beautiful valley with a dry climate and cool springs. The village was given its name by forty monks who came to Cyprus from Asia Minor during the iconoclastic period and named it after the place they had left behind, ‘Megas Agros’. A 9th century monastery built by monks from Constantinople once stood where the 19th century Byzantine style church of Panagia Eleousa stands today. Agros also has a museum of icons. The village is also known for its traditional products such as aromatic rosewater, ‘hiromeri’ (smoked ham), ‘loukanika’ (spicy smoked sausages) and ‘lountza’ (smoked fillet of pork).

Courtesy of the CTO

Check Also

Akamas – Baths of Aphrodite

The northwestern peninsula of Cyprus, known as Akamas, is a wild, uninhabited region with spectacular …

Kato Drys vllage

Kato Drys is the birthplace of Ayios Neofytos, who was born in 1134. Of interest …